nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy chicago fig

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy chicago fig
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:44:39 -0500

Hardy Chicago fig at the Chicago Botanic garden (zone 6 I think) is planted
at the base of an east facing wall with no protection dies back to the ground
most if not all winters. It sets a lot of fruit. The person in charge of the
fruit and vegetable island said that it never ripens, though garden
volumteers saw figs and assumed that they ripenend and told me that they did.
It might be possible to get it to ripen in just the right microsite, but I
suspect that this variety needs to be protected in Chicago. It is certainly
not a no care easy fig in zone 5.

Thanks for the info.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends. - Oscar Wilde