nafex - Re: [NAFEX] figs Protection

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] figs Protection
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:19:35 -0500

Every fig grower here in the northeast have his/her own way of protecting it. I protect first and 2nd year figs by leaning the whole tree to the ground. Fig branches are very flexible, which is a great advantage when being protected. After having the whole tree bent to the ground, which is usually only a couple branches. I then bury it with 2"-3" of mulch. When the tree is 3 years of older and have larger caliper, I'll tie the whole tree together, then wrap with insulation, and then fill in leaves and mulch in between branches. I then would wrap it with a multiple layers of heavy duty Tarp. I have many Italian and Greek friends that have been successfully protecting it with an old carpet, and wraping it tight.

Many Imigrants in New york city been growing trees successfully without protection for many years. The reason is the microclimates, but the past 3 years some been dying to ground for extra cold winters.

Bass Samaan

Zone 6, Pa