nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Propagating English Walnut

  • From: "William Freels" <w.freels@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Propagating English Walnut
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:35:37 -0600

Geoffrey:

Ordinary midwestern black walnut for rootstock has always worked for me.

Ernest Dietrick near Olney Illinois grafted english walnut, at approx. 11 ft. high, onto black walnut and it resulted in a very superior tree.  The nuts are much better than average.
I sent an article about this to Pamona a few years ago.  Maybe you can find this article.

Ernest was in his 90s when I first saw the tree  and  he told me several times that if he was a young man he would graft 1000s  of such trees because it was the best that he had ever seen.  Ernest is now gone.

Good luck with your project,
Bill Freels, Paducah, Ky