nafex - [NAFEX] Orange Tomatoes Healthier!

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Orange Tomatoes Healthier!
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:02:55 -0500

An article in our National Post newspaper quoted research
by Dr Schwartz from Ohio State University:

"Orange Tomatoes are healthier than red tomatoes. Orange
tomatoes contain a type of lycopene that is more readily
used by the body than the type found in red tomatoes.

Lycopene, an antioxidant thought to have a number of health
benefits, is what gives red tomatoes and other fruits their rich
colour. Lycopene absorption from the orange ones was 2.5
times higher than from the reds. Blood lycopene levels spiked
about 5 hours after the meal and were 200 times higher than
the levels from the reds. While reds contain far more lycopene
than the orange ones, most of it is in a form that the body
does not absorb well.

Orange coloured tomatoes are not readily available at grocery
stores. Dr Schwartz suggests consumers seek out orange
and gold coloured tomatoes as an alternative, even though
they have not tested these varieties."

FYI  -  jmb

ps I wonder about the content in the black/purple tomatoes .

  • [NAFEX] Orange Tomatoes Healthier!, John Barbowski, 03/08/2007