nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bagging

  • From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bagging
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:21:03 -0500

Andy - I think you are likely correct, but I will wait to hear from those
more knowledgeable as well. I wish I'd had the sense to try what you
suggested with at least part of the bagged crop, because the bits of peach I
was able to salvage were sweet and fragrant.

By the way, I ordered 4" x 6" cloth bags yesterday afternoon and they
arrived at noon today (?). They are not as roomy as I supposed. They will be
fine for my purposes but I suspect a good sized apple would outgrow them at
some point.

dylan

From: "Whipple, Andy"

> Dylan,
>
> If the main problem you are trying to solve is plum curculio, and if
> bagging your peaches and nectarines seems to work until a later point in
> the season, could you not remove the bags part way through the season?
> Others in the group will correct my misstatements, but is not curculio
> pressure limited to an early part of the growing season? If so, and if
> for your stone crops you are bagging only to stop curculio access to the
> developing fruit, then once that point in the season is past you could
> safely remove the bags, having achieved the desired end of protecting
> the fruit from curculio.
>
> There's nothing like right-off-the-tree, totally ripened peaches. If
> bagging could reduce the curculio problem without introducing other
> problems, that would be terrific news for those of us growing small
> enough numbers of peaches and other stone fruit to make this
> practicable.
>
> Andy Whipple

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address
pollution issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.