nafex - Re: [NAFEX] sea buckthorn and Wolfberry

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] sea buckthorn and Wolfberry
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:25:34 -0800 (PST)

I live in California but may have some experience that
is relevant.

I also planted sea buckthorn 8-9 years ago and they
all failed to make it through the summer. The last
couple of years I have tried again with much better
results. While sea buckthorn are considered to be
tough plants when established, they are not tough in
the first couple of years. They need good drainage,
frequent watering and a little shade the first couple
of years.

I tried goji beries a few years ago and they all
leafed out and then died. I finally realized what the
problem was. Slugs and snails love the plants. They
will completely strip them of all greenery and the
outer bark. In this area they have to be protected
completely from slugs and snails for a couple of
years. And although they are tough plants when well
established, they also need water and maybe some shade
the first couple of years in really hot summers.

By the way, goji berries are far superior to wolf
berries. They are very similar looking plants and the
fruits look the same but the goji berry fruit quality
is far superior.

--- Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>