nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Forest garden plants

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Forest garden plants
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:37:50 -0600

Richard's a bit far south, as I am.  Here are some species I think are hardy enough for you:

yellowroot, if hardy in your area
Schisandra   chinese "tonic" fruit, probably not invasive, likes cold climates
Nettles, definitely.  I cussed them a lot when I lived in England, but here they have behaved and stayed in one big patch.  Excellent eating in season.  Someone told me they cut and dry lots of them to put in winter soups.
The aronia that was being discussed recently.  Not good for much by itself, but will add needed astringency and some color to wines made from apples, pears, peaches.
Beach plums
Blueberries of course if your soil is acidic enough.  Some will run as well.

Oh, see if your local library had or can interlibrary loan a book about wild fruits by Thoreau.  Better yet, just buy a copy.  You can look up about any native plant that makes any kind of fruit, nut, berry, or any other kind of seed that he happened to notice and write about.  Donna