nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 77

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 77
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:53:08 -0500 (EST)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed Jan 31 13:52:37 2007
> From: Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Pear variety comments
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> My husband and I love pears and have gradually been planting our small
> orchard. So far we have a Comice, Ure, Warren and Atlantic. The Comice
> has grown very well and I expect it to flower this year. The other three
> don't seem to be doing much. Two are within fifteen feet of the Comice on
> the same type of soil, so I am not sure what is slowing them down. Has
> anyone seen trees that don't seem to grow well the first few years take off
> at a later date? Do you think transplanting these trees to a different
> location might be worth trying?
>
> We want to add several other pears this year: Nova, Manning-Miller,
> Southworth, Summercrisp and Stacey. Any comments pro or con on these
> varieties? Three are self-fertile, which is something I prefer having
> spotty luck with getting things going (at least there is HOPE that some
> fruit will come at some point!) Fireblight is an issue here. We are in
> zone 5b/6 in SE Ohio.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> deb

Well Deb, in my limited experience Ure is a somewhat slow grower, but
certainly faster than Comice here in zone 4a (of course it is a bit of a
miracle that the Comice is surving here). Perhaps your soil is missing
something important, have you tried a soil test? Some trees (and some
rootstocks) seem to be more demanding than others. If they are in near full
sun and getting reasonable water I would try Spring feeding them with
compost and a bit of general purpose fertilizer rather than moving them. Of
course if they are still small enough to move after a few years they are
not doing well.

Richard

  • Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 77, rmelrose, 01/31/2007