nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flood-tolerant apple rootstock needed?

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flood-tolerant apple rootstock needed?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:57:29 -0800 (PST)

I don't think I've posted much (tanis cuff/ tanistanis hotmail same as
tanisgrif
yahoo) about the tree proper. It is owned by some else, so I felt the
primary task
was to collect all the info I could about propagating & possibly patenting
it, so I
could tell owner all options available & most practical methods, and probable
time-line. Also, publicizing too much about the tree starts the time-window
of when
the patenting process must start.

Tree might be naturally dwarfing, but that needs to be trialed. History
strongly
suggests it is an own-root chance seedling. It produces crops of
fair-to-nice fruit
in a marshy region where other apple trees hardly flower. This combo of
phenomonal
roots AND good fruit will have to be tested, to prove whether it is actually a
chance seedling, not someone's long-lost topwork. Also note this is in
s.WI-- z4
more realisticly than z5-- which beats the winter hardiness of other flood-tol
rootstocks (yes?).

--- nbeaureg wrote:

> flood tolerance is a great quality, and should be very salable.
> why?
> because it is Usually associated with several other very desirable
> qualities.
>
> compaction tolerance and low O2 tolerance.
>
> i don't know the current market for rootstocks though.
>
> has the vigor & size of this tree been discussed?
>
> zone 5
> w-mass
>
> ncb
>

> Quoting tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>:
>
> > Please & thanks for your views of the current need or market demand for a
> > very flood-tolerant apple rootstock.

Need Mail bonding?