nafex - [NAFEX] Boysenberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Boysenberries
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:39:33 -0600

Donna,
My boysenberries haven't been attacked by any disease here in zone 3..................yet. Cane borers sure like them though. I've had them for 5 - 6 years now. Don't know what variety; I bought them from one of the 'junk plant' nurseries. Wild blackberries get rust here but it hasn't spread to anything except, occasionally to one of my commercial blackberry varieties. Summers are quite humid here so I'd expect that if the Boysens were going to get sick, they would have by now. Boysenberries are fun because the fruits are 4 to 5 times larger than raspberries.
I'm not in the business of selling Boysenberry plants. There hasn't been any demand. I did trade some to Heron Breen for some of her Bangor Blackberry plants. Boysens don't tip-root readily but I always encourage a few to start plants because I never know who might want some.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

I ordered blackberries last year, and will order a few more with a friend. I've been tempted to try Boysen Berries, they sound like fun and good eating. However, we have both rust and anthracnose in wild brambles here, and I had selected only disease resistant blackberries. I know there is no mention anywhere of resistance in Boysen berries, but tell me, are they likely to just pine away in a couple of years?
Donna in Tennessee, z6.

  • [NAFEX] Boysenberries, Jim Fruth, 01/26/2007