nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia + Castanea+ Squirrels

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia + Castanea+ Squirrels
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:14:05 +0100

Hallo Charlie,
you are very right from your American point of view.
Because you have your "American (stupid!??) Squirrels"!

But take in consideration, America is not Europe!
In Europe we have different animals and different Squirrels.
We have Squirrels Sciurus vulgaris which are not like yours and which are
never creating problems like the Americans.
Anyhow a good friend from GB England told me about some problem with his
hazel nuts because of Squirrels. But he pointed out very clearly, those problem-Squirrels came from
America. As an unwanted import.

That's why in Europe our Squirrels are never considered as a problem or competitors.
In the contrary, people are loving to see Squirrels.
Our Castanea, Walnuts and Hazel give always sufficient crop - even "Ecker 1"!

Because of my poor English, I do not understand at all your "grass and your albinos", but let me
clear: The endemic Walnuts Juglans regia have shells which are almost impossible to open by any means
and I think one of the Juglans nigra and Carya breeding aim is the thin shell...
Probably those endemic Juglans regia from Himalaya area could be one answer for some areas in America.
And I am sure you will need in most areas very protected Chestnuts.
Thank you for your very interesting comment.

ciao
Hans

BekeeprTop@aol.com schrieb:
a chestnut with soft burrs would never be eaten by humans, at least not if it were grown in new england. Squirrels would get every chestnut. I don't even know how squirrels survive, they are so stupid to start harvesting pecans long before the meat really fills.
In the south, pecan orchards are kept way away from other woods so the squirrels would have to cover a lot of open ground to get to the pecans.
There's reasons sometimes things have to be the way they are - all the time I see grass here and there come up albino - a shell-less oyster might be handy because it wouldn't require shucking but the oyster wouldn't do well without a shell . You gotta have the meanest burrs on chestnuts.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):