nafex - [NAFEX] Urea

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Urea
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 08:28:54 -0600

Mark,
I don't think your urea evaporated but it probably did something similar. If left in sunlight, it will decompose into carbon dioxide and water. If left in the open, not in direct sunlight it can also decompose but at a slower rate. If you are going to fertilize anything, you really should till it into the soil. Watering it in would have been a good choice too. If you were to leave 10-10-10 (or any fertilizer), sunlight will liberate any chemically-bound water and the wind will scatter it about.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

I had a question about using Urea on the pecan tree I want to graft. I have
obtained some scion wood and plan to try to graft it early this summer. I
bought 50lbs of Urea 48-0-0 to fertilize the tree so that it will grow more
vigorously this spring. The tree has been very slow growing and you
suggested some N might help. About a month ago I used about 2 cups (dry
measure) around the tree. But it didn't rain for quite a while and the
crystals seemed to evaporate. I'm wondering if it did any good? Also would
it hurt to dose it again this spring.

Mark
Zone 5 Kansas

  • [NAFEX] Urea, Jim Fruth, 01/20/2007