nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goji Berry

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goji Berry
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:57:09 -0600

I am pleased that Hans reports Lycium will grow even on heavy clay. Now if I can only get some plants to actually grow. I don't think Americans know more about "goji" than Europeans, I only know about them because a friend did Chinese herbs and gave us some. Then I bought the book HERBAL EMISSARIES by Stephen Foster and some Chinese guy, and they give LOTS of info on growing and use.
"Goji" is a name newly arrived here, some company is pushing them and I suppose that will end in driving up the price. I buy them in oriental groceries, they are used in herbal teas but are also considered a tonic food, so I just eat a handful on days I happen to think of it. They are sweet and tart and chewy.
The bush has been described by one landscaper's book as "so ugly that it should only be used to hide something uglier". Donna