nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Nafex] Temperate berry crops

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Nafex] Temperate berry crops
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:01:53 -0600

Before ordering from Pense, you may want to check the "Garden Watchdog" at
Dave's Garden.
Apparently, various members of the Pense family run several Berry nurseries
in Arkansas and
have many unhappy customers.

Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas

Donna wrote:
Bill,
I'm pretty sure that Jim Fruth has blackberries up there in zone 3, so
zone 5 shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm not sure red raspberries can take
the heat and drought all that well. Comments anyone? The black raspberries
do sort of ok here, but never the huge crops that blackberries serve up.
Here is a nice map and listings from Pense Nursery:
http://www.alcasoft.com/pense/success.html

I notice that they have some different info on their plants from Simmons
Berry Farm, where I ordered last year.
http://www.alcasoft.com/simmons/index.html
Simmons orders were for 5 plants each, looks like at Pense you can order 1
of each if you like. I'd order at least 2 of each variety, (after digging
around for info on just which varieties you want), just in case you lose
one.

  • Re: [NAFEX] [Nafex] Temperate berry crops, Mark & Helen Angermayer, 01/12/2007