nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Propagating Hardy Kiwi

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Propagating Hardy Kiwi
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:56:09 -0600

Dormant Actinidia cuttings can be rooted with bottom heat, but not reliably. The surefire method I use is to graft onto an established vine outdoors in spring (or a potted plant indoors in winter). Actinidia are as easy to graft as it gets. Whip and tongue works really well. The species does not matter, unless you leave it grafted too long, then incompatibility may result in graft failure. The scions should start to grow out in 10-14 days. When the new growth reaches 2-3 feet, I run it up through the bottom of a one gallon nursery pot, then fill with potting soil. The shoot should put out sufficient roots in 2-3 weeks, and can then be cut loose. In another 2-3 weeks, the new plant should be ready to transplant.

Hal
zn 6b, TN