nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Diseases in bramble

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Diseases in bramble
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:21:43 -0500

On Dec 27, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

Bob,
I'm sorry that I forgot to mention anything about disease: In the ten
years that I've been growing my Pequot Black Raspberry, I have observed zero
diseases. I have had a bout with cane borer though and had to figure out
how to get rid of them.
Since I'm on the subject of Rubus disease, I should add that, of the
several varieties of blackberries I grow, the only one that is susceptable
to rust has been a wild type. I have seen rust on a few leaves of Fort Kent
King. Of red raspberries, only mild fire-blight on K-81-6 and disease fre
on Latham, Boyne, Encore, Nova, Dinkum, Polana, Autumn Bliss.

I have wild blackberries that are thoroughly infested with yellow rust. Almost no berries, and scrawny growth. From tim eto time I try to get rid of them, but they are a very persistant weed, even when when infected, and they also grow in the neighbors' yards.

I have a domestic red raspberry (fall red) that has been disease free for 9 years now. Nothing worse than a bout of cane borer. I have a domestic blackberry (a gift from a fellow NAFEXer, but I forget the cultivar) that has made it through two years without showing signs of rust, although I still consider it a trial. It did produce some tasty berries this year. It must be at least somewhat resistant, since obviously the disease pressure is high. (There are rust infected wild plants growing within feet of this one.)

Ginda

eastern Mass., zone 6