nafex - [NAFEX] Gone thru the FDA plant importation process...

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gone thru the FDA plant importation process...
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:57:01 EST

Hello Lloyd,

As Don Yellman wrote, without having a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the country where the cuttings were collected, the cuttings will be destroyed. I wouldn't recommend bringing them in, in the bottom of your suit case either.

It would even help to obtain an import permit for the material, which isn't usually a problem unless the material must be grown in quarantine. From a fast check of the regulations manual I have, it doesn't appear Ficus is restricted, and if that is correct the import permit should be easy. The difficult part will likely be obtaining the Phyto. Cert. from that countries authorities.

Why don't you start by calling Carolyn Fitzgerald at APHIS, 877-770-5990 who issues the permits. If you have it, when you reenter the US with the cuttings you turn them and a copy of the permit and the Phyto Cert. over to the Agriculture Dept. at your arriving International Airport in the US. They then take the cuttings and forward them to the appropriate APHIS inspection station. After inspection they send them to you. I've always found APHIS to be very cooperative and caring for the material. Twice when my material had insect eggs they called and asked me how I wanted them treated to kill the eggs. Their goal isn't blocking material or hindering your research but blocking diseases and insects. There is no charge for their service. After all, you might bring in a fig better than any grown commercially and start a whole new industry in this country.

If possible check now with the country where you wish to obtain the Ficus cuttings from to learn their requirements. I've been told some countries wish to examine the material before issuing the permits.

Prepare ahead and Good Luck with your fruit exploring. This is what NAFEX is about.

Jerry Lehman

Receive much more grower information by joining NAFEX. Receive the quarterly publication POMONA with many short articles written from member experiences.   No where else can you get so much for so little. Membership is only $19.00 annually, $23 Canadian. WWW.NAFEX.org