nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elaeagnus latifolia

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elaeagnus latifolia
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:26:49 EST

For those of you interested in Elaeagnus.

While in Thailand a few years back I ran across some fruit in a fruit market there that looked like Goumi but was as large as my thumb. Naturally I had to purchase some to try. Well, it tasted very very similar to Goumi. I located a forest service dept. and they identified it as E. latifolia. Having an import permit (copies with me) I imported seed and one remains in the greenhouse. It has bloomed but never fruited. It is an evergreen and might survive in south FL. Was hoping to attempt hybridization with Goumi. Haven't checked out the chromosome numbers of both.                     FYI

Jerry