nafex - [NAFEX] elderberries, wine, and Lye

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberries, wine, and Lye
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:47:24 -0500

Hi Guys, again...

I am also an amateur wine maker; finding new recipes to use up extra apples at the end of the season.
No real Cider Religion here, (someday maybe), just value-added on orphaned fruit.

Elderberries are a great addition to apple wine. I use a half cup of dry Sambucus Nigra, re-hydrated in 1 cup of very hot water, per gallon of (apple cider) must. Excellent color, aroma, body, taste. No goo at all.
Apple wine is rather 'unremarkable' by itself, and natural flavor additives take it to a new level.

Raspberries were another story. I bought a bag of frozen ones (yawn) from the market. Thawed them, beat them up in a blender and put them in with a gallon of cider. WOW..!! I now had 231 cubic inches of 'evil phlegm'.
It all stirred as a homogenous mass. Fortunately, boosting the Pectic Enzyme up from 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fixed this, and it is now fermenting away as others do.

I also ordered some York and Nova Elderberry plants from Double A Vineyards. (Best price I could find).
Does anybody have experience as to how these fruit, compared to Canadensis or Nigra or the Blue ones?
If they really don't mind a little wet feet, (experiment this year) I might mass plant, as they seem to require little care.......???

Don't forget about lye. Sodium Hydroxide. Red Devil lye at the hardware store.
Hardwood ashes and water for those on a budget !!
Wear goggles. Wash it off if it gets on you. Very caustic. Should easily eat anything you want to remove from a glass carboy. Keep it FAR AWAY from aluminum......as it eats that, too.
I cooked hardwood ashes, water, and lard in an aluminum pan to make soap.
The pan was Swiss Cheese in 15 minutes.

Murph
(Richard Murphy)