nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shade Plants

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shade Plants
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:13:24 -0500

Thanks, Jim, but most of that list won't work for Charlie. I live near him, in a slightly milder micro-climate, and I've personally killed several of them - they weren't winter hardy. (Salal, evergreen huckleberry, and bearberry, although the bearberry might have not liked my soil, rather than my weather.) Others will grow, but slowly and without fruit, like wild blueberry or wintergreen. (Well, wintergreen will fruit in the shade, but it grows so slowly and fruits so sparingly that it's not really worth it. the fruit isn't worth eating, either, although I enjoy chewing on the leaves.) And Charlie has decided against brambles.

So I think Charlie's list is pretty good for his location and preferences.

Charlie, currants are regulated county-by-county in Massachusetts, and most mail order shops don't want to deal with the details and won't sell you any currants. I recommend Nourse:

http://www.noursefarms.com/

who are based in Mass. and know the local laws, and can sell you what's legal (probably red or white currants or gooseberries, and crandall currants if they have them), or St. Lawrence Nurseries:

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

who are a small shop and leave it up to their customers to figure out what's legal locally. Last I checked, they have crandall currants, which are legal in most of the state, but hard to obtain.

Ginda