nafex - [NAFEX] Elderberries

  • From: "Kathryn Mathews" <kathmath@charterinternet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Elderberries
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:20:49 -0600

This has nothing to do with boiling or gunk, but since we're on the subject of elderberries I've got a question.  I'm a newbie and harvested my first little crop this summer.  Since I live on an urban corner lot without much space I opted to plant the ornamental, lance-leaved variety (Lancifolia, I think?) which is smaller.  The berries were very small, but delicious in baked goods.  My biggest surprise was when I dried some, they had an anise flavor that was also very fun to bake with.  I'm wondering if it's just this particular variety or if the varieties like Adams and York that most people plant for berries also have an anise taste when dried.

Kathryn Mathews
Northfield, Minnesota
Zone 4

This notice is required by IRS Circular 230, which regulates written communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their clients.  To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full “covered opinion.”  Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS.

  • [NAFEX] Elderberries, Kathryn Mathews, 12/12/2006