nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Barberry request

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Barberry request
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:16:15 -0600

At 02:23 AM 11/30/2006, you wrote:
See request below from a former student.  Please weigh in with any info.
Thanks,
Richard
East TN---Where the medlars are getting mushy.

"One of my colleagues from Russia brought in an interesting candy made from barberries.  These berries, as I've discovered, are the fruit from the Berberis thunbergii shrub.  I was curious if you new anything about this small, red berry, specifically if they have any nutritional or antioxidant value."

Richard,
Some of the introduced barberry species, including B.thunbergii, are beginning to show up on 'invasive alien' plant lists in some states.
TN puts B. thunbergii in the Rank II category - "Exotic plant species that possess characteristics of invasive species but are not presently considered to spread into native plant communities as are those classified as Rank I".
http://www.tneppc.org/TNEPPC2004PlantList-8x11.pdf

I'm beginning to find a few 'volunteer' red-leafed B. thunbergii seedlings popping up in fencerows and woods' edges on the farm here, presumably courtesy of the birds feeding on these little shrubs that are very common in the residential landscapes in my neighborhood.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY