nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberry Soil

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberry Soil
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:31:54 -0600

Ginda,
I'm glad your said "usually" as in "usually acid" for the soil that wild blueberries grow in. Where I live, the soil is alkaline and the wild blueberries thrive in it.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]

We do Gift Baskets. We take credit cards over the phone and ship all over
the world. The furtherest we've shipped, so far, has been to South Africa.

Actually, I have a currant in the shade, and while it doesn't produce
as much as it's better-lit cousins, it does fruit. On the other
hand, I have lots of wild blueberries in the shade, and they rarely
produce a single berry. This year some of them got more sun due to a
neighbor cutting down his woods, and plants that hadn't fruited in 10
years bloomed and fruited. Blueberries will survive for years in the
shade, however, and they like the sort of soil you find under pine
trees (usually acid) so that might be an okay ground cover.

Ginda

  • [NAFEX] Blueberry Soil, Jim Fruth, 11/20/2006