nafex - Re: [NAFEX] really good Northern Spys for Michigan

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] really good Northern Spys for Michigan
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 03:39:23 -0500 (EST)

This brings up what for me is a very interesting point.

When I lived in Ottawa and later near Kingston, Ontario (1972-82)
I was able to buy excellent Northern Spies grown in
Prince Edward County (the peninsula which projects from the north shore of Lake Ontario) which had the classical yellowish (in some
cases positively yellow) flesh and a spicy flavour.

Since I moved to St. Catharines in the Niagara Peninsula 23 years
ago, I have only been able to buy Spies with white flesh and inferior flavour (they definitely fit the classic description of Northern Spy
on the outside, with striping, and they were not Red Spy). I wonder
whether it's because of soil or fertilizer or whether there are
multiple clones of Northern Spy around.

Can anyone shed light on this mystery?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario