nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 45, Issue 32

  • From: Bob Melvin <hasnah8@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: rfmelvin@ncsu.edu, Bob Melvin <hasnah8@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 45, Issue 32
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:54:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Mark,

I would think that finding fertilizer blends without trace
elements would be fairly easy. (Many years ago, it was difficult to
find fertilizer WITH trace elements.) You might try a fertilizer
supply place for farmers rather than for gardeners.

Of the trace elements mentioned, I would think only the copper
would give you real trouble if it were too high. I was once advised
never to add copper because it is so toxic to so many plants and is
really difficult to remove from the soil. I don't think that copper is
ever included as a trace element in commercial fertilizer, but I may be
wrong.

More than thirty years ago, I helped my cousin apply a large
amount of dried waste treatment sludge to his future garden area. When
he had the soil tested (after mixing in the sludge) most of the trace
elements were ten times the recommended values! He had ENORMOUS
vegetables!

--"Bob Melvin" <hasnah8@yahoo.com>, <rfmelvin@ncsu.edu>
Ph. 919-215-2814 (Anyone may call at any time.)