nafex - [NAFEX] Lingonberry project

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • Cc: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lingonberry project
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:44:09 -0500

Info about lingonberries,Sam,
Thanks so much for your efforts in gathering material for me on lingonberry growing. It is not often that so much worthwhile information comes in one package.
As of this writing, I have dedicated a 22 x 24 (528 sq. ft.) plot of sandy loam ground for the project. The parcel had strawberries growing on it that needed replacing and so I rototilled them under to provide additional organic matter to the existing 4.2% already in place. Following that, I covered the area with black plastic to 'cook' any pathogens under the intense Summer sun, leaving it in place until early September. Then I waited for a windless day to broadcast 25 pounds of elemental sulfur - with even the slightest breeze, sulfur seems to blow and settle everywhere except where you want it - if my calculations were correct, by the time I plant, the pH should be between 4.8 and 5.1 (time will tell).
I plan to obtain the plants from Hartmann's Plant Company which I'll plant according to the (below) directions. For mulch, I'll use pine needles applying in the same manner I use for planting strawberries. When I plant strawberries, I install T-Tape (drip irrigation) immediately after each row is planted. Then comes the pine needles, being applied approximately 3" - 4" deep. Using this method, it is usually 4 to 5 years before the first weed comes up because, unlike many mulch materials, pine needles deteriorate slowly, at a rate of about 3/4" per year.
My garden/orchard is at saturation point; everytime I want to plant anything new, I have to, first, grub something out.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com