nafex - [NAFEX] Chinese Chestnuts and Blackberries and Corn

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chinese Chestnuts and Blackberries and Corn
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:47:35 -0400

Greetings Learned Friends;

Chinese Chestnuts; grafted vs. seedling.....
Is there a big difference in precocity?
If you were trying to grow nuts for your family, starting right now, what would be the fastest yielding nut tree I could plant?

Blackberries; Illini Hardy vs. Fort Kent
Does anybody have experience with both?
This year, my Illini Hardy plants (10) did really well. No crop yet. This was their first big pile of primocanes since being planted last year. Man, they are healthy and bushy, and POWER THORNY ! !

Sweet Corn; (for some cash until the trees get big)
AMBROSIA rules ! sweetest corn I ever had. 75 days
INCREDIBLE is a close second. 85 days
Kandy Kwik didn't germinate worth a hoot.
IO Chief was huge, yellow, big ears, semi-sweet, usually 2 ears / stalk.

Thank you all.

Richard Murphy
Zone 4 Maine

  • [NAFEX] Chinese Chestnuts and Blackberries and Corn, Richard MURPHY, 10/15/2006