nafex - [NAFEX] autumn olive/ exploration 10.9.2006

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] autumn olive/ exploration 10.9.2006
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:17:41 EDT

Your mileage may vary on Eleagnus taste
BUT DID YOU TASTE IT LATE ENOUGH IN THE YEAR.
Many of my better finds ocurred around 9 October. I went one year September
13, tasted 104 I had never tasted before, and came up with all bad!
There are many different sources of eleagnus seed. Sometimes you may find a
group that they all taste bad. I used to say 1 of 10 eleagnus were good,
while 1 in 100 were outstanding. I think many times you do way more than 1
in 10
good. But a bad eleagnus will make you spit! They can be that bad!

These is the narrative of my exploration this year:

Eleagnus Umbellata: Monday I explored and felt good enough about two finds
to assign them numbers, #15 and #16. I've explored Eleagnus since 1996. #16
is interesting in two respects, the entire plant shows dwarf characteristics,
I've never seen them before! And, the seeds are soft enough to be safely
chewed, a safety consideration for our ever-important teeth. What I do is
time 5
minutes and see how many I can pick in 5 minutes. Multiply *12 and I've got
the pick-rate-per-hour, a significant statistic. This is probably better
organized than most things I do!

Oh one last thing, I think of Eleagnus Umbellate as our peanut - by that I
mean - it is nitrogen-fixing like peanut is - and can do for us up here what
peanut has done for the south like in Georgia - produce on depleted soils.
made selections Monday out of sand pits! The nitrogen-fixing root nodules on
eleagnus can be the size of ping pong balls! I find it extraordinary the
eleagnus has become a target of environmentalists - this is probably no less
amazing
than the Salem Witch Trials!!

If there was any mail on the list about eleagnus this week I missed it all
due to an email problem. I could not access the archives from the ibiblio
homepage. I'd be grateful if someone could forward me relevant mails or tell
me
how to access the archives.
Charlie Paradise, eleagnus explorer in Massachusetts
eww! watch out for those witches and those eleagnus bushes!

  • [NAFEX] autumn olive/ exploration 10.9.2006, BekeeprTop, 10/11/2006