nafex - [NAFEX] Pawpaw Yields

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pawpaw Yields
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:44:34 -0500

At this point in time, I don't recall how it correlated with bloom on the pawpaws, but we had an F3 tornado pass within 3/4 of a mile of the house on 2 April, and a widespread five-minute hailstorm on 7 April, that beat virtually every blossom or young fruit off almost every tree in the orchard here, knocking off big chunks of bark and causing bark splits as bad or worse than any cicada damage I've ever seen. I suppose those events could also have had some effect on the pawpaw crop in this area.

Lucky