nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Squirrels

  • From: W3cmp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Squirrels
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:51:43 EDT

Hello all:
     Squirrels are one of the biggest pains ever invented.  I fight a constant battle against them every year.  Despite a resident hawk who takes care of several every year, I end up using a have a heart trap to capture them (peanut butter bait), and a bb gun to dispose of them.  I put them down nearby ground hog holes to try to encourage the resident groundhogs to relocate, preferably away from t he woods that border my orchard.  Squirrels can strip a peach or  apple tree in a couple days. They seem to prefer the peaches after skin color changes but before the peaches are ripe.  They like sweeter apple varieties like gala early in the apple ripening cycle, but will go after just about anything.
     I originally tried to relocate the squirrels but was cautioned against doing that-they can travel several miles back to their "home", i.e., my orchard, and moving them just causes someone else a problem.
     I put groundhogs, possums, skunks and raccoons in the same category as squirrels.  It's a never ending battle to keep them from butchering up fruit as well.

                                                    Chris Patterson Zone 6 SE Pa.