nafex - [NAFEX] Those dastardly furry rats....

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Those dastardly furry rats....
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:01:09 -0700

It was written:

I have a small pear tree that had a dozen or so pears this year...I
tried bagging them with lunch bags but the squirells shredded them. Is
there any feasible way to protect the pears from these pests???
E. C. Pasour, jr.

My reply:

Stumbled on to this the other year....actually forgot about it as it was so
easy until the furry rats stripped my Harvest Queen of most of its fruit.

In the past I tried netting...and the little %#&#& would simply chew holes,
like you they shredded the bags...then I came across this.

Simply lay balled up netting underneath the tree so it does not lay flat on
the ground. I was shocked...it stops possums, raccoons and the tree rats. A
few try to brave it by leaping in the trees, but all I can say is I got full
loads of Harrow Sweet and Potomac this way where as my Harvest Queen crop was
virtually annihilated. The idea is to make it disconcerting for them to set
their feet down. You need to fluff up(pun interntional) the netting every
few days, but at least around here it works well.

Other than that, a squirrel raised on pear is probably tasty. I would
consider them part of the banquet the Lord spreads before me.

the fluffy bunny

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Those dastardly furry rats...., fuwa fuwa usagi, 09/24/2006