nafex - Re: [NAFEX] We're going to plant fruit trees in everycitystreet

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] We're going to plant fruit trees in everycitystreet
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:27:24 -0700

On Sep 24, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Mark or Helen Angermayer wrote:

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure the apples would be fit to eat. People that won't pick their
apples are probably not going to spray them. And around here if no pest
control is practiced, the apples look very rough with a very high percentage
of codling moth damage.

Last week I went to a "pick your own" place that does no spraying. Looks like they don't do that much else, either. Some of the apples I picked had damage from one thing or another (I'm not yet skilled at identifying pests), but I ate around it. And not only am I well-to-do compared to the homeless, I paid 50 cents a pound (which was a bargain). They tasted a lot better than supermarket apples. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a decent Pippin in supermarkets around here. And the "pie plate" Gravensteins they had were marvelous.

People are conditioned to the unrealistic expectations of spotless fruit and so commercial agriculture has selected for shipping qualities as well as things that stop any blemishes. Heck, even russeting is considered a blemish to some people. But when the public actually gets a taste of a real apple, they soon realize it's worth it to re-examine their idea of a "ideal fruit". Folks who are hungry and truly desperate don't turn their nose up at good fruit.

Spidra Webster
http://www.spidra.com