nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GIOMBO ASIAN PERSIMMONS

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GIOMBO ASIAN PERSIMMONS
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:44:49 -0500 (CDT)

Lester,

My Giombo (Gianbo?)is ripe now - that is to say it has good color and
a few are soft. At this stage I pick the firm ones and soak them in
a large bucket of water,changing the water about 4-5 times over a few
days. This dialyzes out the astringency. Then I put them in a zip
lock bag in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks and they are perfect
in flavor, with no astringency and still are quite firm and have no
streaks at the bottom. There is a very heavy crop this year - it
seems to be somewhat of an alternate bearer here, unlike Saijo which
ripens later and always has a heavy crop. I treat it the same way to
get ripe fruit which is quite firm.

Regards, Ethan (Zone 9 a)