nafex - [NAFEX] Unusual Flavored Acorn

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: ForageAhead@yahoogroups.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unusual Flavored Acorn
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:09:10 -0000

Folks,

I'm not as serious about acorns as I'd like to be (I've never been able to leach them properly) but I still try them on occasion. Today I found a unique acorn, in my experience. Although it was a medium astringency acorn it had a very strong vanilla-ish flavor to it that stayed in my mouth slightly longer than the tannic acid. Has anyone else experienced unusual tasting acorns like this before?

I'll try several other acorns from this tree, if I can to confirm that it is tree-wide. Too bad about the astringency. It would be interesting to see if this vanilla-ish flavor leaches out with the tannic acid.

Geoffrey Tolle