nafex - [NAFEX] Grapes questions

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grapes questions
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:52:41 -0700 (PDT)

We've got the first real harvests from our four different grapevines,
3 planted in 2003, one in 2004. I'm very happy! Of course it might
just be a good grape year...

Seeded Concord - got 20# or more. Brix 16. The brix of juice
extracted with the new steamer juicer was 15 - much better than I
expected from this.
Okanaga reisling - got 10# or thereabouts, not quite enough to make
a gallon of wine. Brix around 20, but after adding about 5-10%
himrod, the must brix was 22.
Canadice - (2004 grape) pink seedless - brix 26-27 (!)
Himrod - white seedless - wild guess yield 15# - brix 22-25

My questions:

These vines are young, but they are taking up their whole trellis.
How much more production can I expect?

The Canadice and Himrod both make decent raisins, but the canadice
dry faster, perhaps since they are smaller? Are there recommended
raisin varities? Thompson seedless?

Any suggestions for low-care grapes for red wine? I don't really want
to coddle a merlot. Burnt ridge no longer carries the okanagan
riesling, which makes me wonder.

Any other really great grapes?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall