nafex - Re: [NAFEX] manure,heavy soil

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] manure,heavy soil
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:46:42 -0700

Manure won't do a lot, but organic matter will help, though your best results will be using it as mulch. Soil microflora and fauna will take it into the soil and their channels will will open the soil. It may take a while, though, depending on the state of the soil. A quick fix (for a while) is a heavy application of lime. Calcium makes the clay particles flocculate (clump up) and helps open the soil.
-Lon Rombough