nafex - Re: [NAFEX] When to Pick Asian Pears

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <ed.fackler@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] When to Pick Asian Pears
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:18:22 -0400

Doreen:

     Many if not most asian pears do not radically change skin color when approaching maturity.  The single best way is examination of seed color.  Or when seeds start turning brown they are near peak.  At peak they'll be nearly black.

     Hope this helps.  Sorry to hear that you are not coming to Lex later this week.

ed

On 8/27/06, list@ginda.us <list@ginda.us> wrote:

On Aug 27, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:

> I know how to gauge the ripeness of a regular pear, thanks to Ed
> Fackler's
> advice.  But, when do you pick Asian pears?  There are three
> Shinseki's on
> the grafts of my tree and I'd like to pick them in the next day or two
> before I leave on an extended trip due to a family emergency.  I
> felt the
> fruits this morning, and two of them yielded to pressure when pressed.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
> Doreen Howard

No idea.  But my experience with grapes was that the ones I left all
disappeared, and the ones I picked ripened as well as they could
indoors.  So I'd advise picking them before you leave.

Ginda

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----