nafex - Re: [NAFEX] supertasters

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] supertasters
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:35:22 -0700

Here’s an interesting article:

http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-3-71-108-3626-1-P,00.htm

There may also be genetic bitter sensitivity that occurs in non-supertasters.  There are two tests for supertasters – one involves testing sensitivity to propylthiouracil, which in different subjects can be perceived as tasteless to extremely bitter.  Another test involves counting the ‘taste buds’   (actually the fungiform papillae that house them) per square centimeter.  Seems to my memory that there are some instances where the first test is positive and the second negative; bitter sensitivity without general papillaer density.

I’m sure you can google up some interesting stuff.  My 3-year-old is demanding my attention…

Stephen