nafex - [NAFEX] supertasters

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] supertasters
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:36:51 -0700

I'm raising my hand - supertaster here. I'm glad you also mentioned the
'gourmet' supertasters - the gene is prevalent among chefs. Some
supertasters even enjoy some bitter things - like the chicories, which taste
like poison to me. I like the dark bitter of very dark chocolate and good
coffee (both from fruits. Ever on topic...).

Interesting about zinc and how one tastes sweetness - I recalled some
zinc-taste interactions, but not that one. I wonder if that might be a
partial explanation for different cultures' perception of sweetness?

BTW, all the artificial sweeteners are way too bitter for me.

Stephen

...I'd be curious to know how many NAFEXers are "supertasters", the term
used for people who have twice the normal number of taste buds. You all can
look it up, they tell how to count the actual taste buds in a small area to
find out. Apparently supertasters are extremely sensitive to bitterness...