nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Margerine & lard & Beurre Gifard

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Margerine & lard & Beurre Gifard
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:52:20 -0400

Hello,

Lard goes into my grandmother's recipe for molasses cookies. My "health food" sister complains they don't taste the same when she uses her lard substitutes. She blames her cooking skill, and not her ingrediants.

Old fashioned white bread has lard in it too.

Over time I believe lard was replaced with vegetable shortening and things kept going down hill from there.

My mother eats the darndest margarine. It doesn't melt, it sort of evaporates. It does not act like a fat at all.

I imagine humans have a taste for natural fats, and natural sugars for a good reason. Start straying, or over consuming those natural foods and you are in for trouble. As far as fat goes... Only consume what you would have caught with a pointy stick while running through a forest.

Later,
Tom

Old Fashion White Bread

1 pk YEAST 2 ts SALT
2 tb SUGAR 1 c MILK
2 tb LARD 5 c FLOUR (ALL PURPOSE)

DISSOLVE YEAST IN 1/2 CUP WARM WATER. PLACE SUGAR, SALT AND LARD IN A BOWL. ADD 1c VERY HOT WATER - STIR TO DISSOLVE. ADD MILK - ADD YEAST. ADD ENOUGH FLOUR TO MAKE STIFF DOUGH. KNEAD TILL SMOOTH BUT NOT STICKY. PLACE IN GREASED BOWL AND LET RISE UNTIL DOUBLED IN SIZE. SHAPE INTO TWO LOAVES AND PLACE IN BREAD PANS. LET RISE UNTIL DOUBLED IN BULK. BAKE AT 400 DEG F. FOR 35 TO 40 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN AND HOLLOW SOUNDING WHEN LIGHTLY TAPPED ON THE TOP.