nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Watermelons rootstock

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Watermelons rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:05:41 -0500

When I was a kid we always ate watermelons chilled, but these days I kinda
think I'd eat more if I was outside on a really hot day and the weather was
dry enough that the melon was self-cooling the way cucumbers are....
We usually don't even try to grow watermelons because our soil is so
clayey, but this year I'd bought some sand for the eggplants, so I thought
I'd try melons too. Had only about 4 plants, when the vines were about 6'
long, one vine turned bright yellow most of it's length, then the others did
it too. I thought maybe the pH was too high in the chicken manure I'd used,
so I stirred some sulfur into water and poured it on. Always works on the
corn, greens it right up, but the melons didn't respond and died in a couple
of weeks. Everything else loved the manure, so that doesn't seem to be the
problem. I haven't had enough experience with melons to even begin to guess
what went wrong. Any clues? Donna

  • Re: [NAFEX] Watermelons rootstock, Kieran and Donna, 08/02/2006