nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberry Pippen Apple

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberry Pippen Apple
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:19:42 -0400

Hello all,

I realize apple trees may be a little early this year, but I am surprized by one tree.

On July 30, two of my Strawberry Pippen bagged apples were found on the ground. I didn't think much of it figuring that they had succumbed to the recent intense heat. I unbagged them and put them in the fridge to cool down. Forgot about them till yesterday when I cut them open to discover nicely formed brow seeds! The apples were obviously ripe - but this early?.

This is the 1st year the tree has borne fruit, so there is no benchmark comparison. I would compare its taste to a Macintosh, perhaps slightly sweeter.

I unbagged the remaining eight and will let them colour up for a week before another taste test.

According to a couple of websites, Strawberry Pippen ripens early Sept. Never did see a picture, so I am not completely sure of the ID. I did get the whip from a reputable source.

jmb