nafex - Re: [NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:59:40 -0700

The botrytitis that infects raspberries overwinters on the plant, and infects the flowers.  It is also present in the air, and on the ground – it can splash up from the ground during watering.  After infecting the flowers, it colonizes the green fruit, but does not become active until conditions (moisture, temperature, damage) are favorable.  You can apply fungicides at blossom time, but once the canes are actively fruiting you’re unlikely to be able to change the level of colonization already present.  The mold is not a bad thing until it becomes active, then it ruins the fruit.  It’s not harmful to eat – just, you know, disgusting.

Proper culture is preferable to fungicide use.  Make sure that the fruit can stay fairly dry on the plants by not impeding the natural movement of air.  Space the plants far enough apart, keep weeds low or absent, and don’t fertilize in early spring – nitrogen encourages leaf formation, and excessive leaf formation shades the fruit so they don’t dry as easily.

I fuzzily recall that botrytis cultures just as easily outdoors whether there are active colonies nearby or not, so a 10 foot toss from your plants should be plenty.  Still, it seems right to get the moldy berries pretty far away.

Stephen