nafex - [NAFEX] Groundcherry variation

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Groundcherry variation
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 08:16:33 -0500

There is a great variety of ground cherry, depending upon where you buy
it or who you bought it from. I always start my seed inside at about six
weeks before my last average frost.
One year the plants vined upon the ground in thick matted circles to
nearly 6' in circumference, growing only 8" high. Some years they grow 5'
high by mid August and other years they stay short growing to only 24" to
30" high. Curiously, some plants shrivel on sunny days acting like they are
starved for water but return to normal form when the sun disappears. I try
to grow about 100 plants.
Last year I chanced upon some wild ground cherry plants and started some
this year. Germination was poor at 6%. The leaves look VERY different from
the cultured plant and I an very curious about what they'll produce.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm