nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:28:58 -0500

Bassem,
    I'm surprised that no one has jumped in with the answer to your question.  Lucky must be out of town.  Someone wrote an article in POMONA years ago about his success in rooting mulberries.  I am pretty sure he used softwood cuttings.  If I were you, I'd take numerous short cuttings, about 4 nodes long and leave only one sticking out of the soil.  If you have had success before, you must know about not overwatering.  I have had pitiful results trying to root roses, but a woman in TX brought a whole bunch of roses she'd rooted under an oak tree, just misting them morning and evening.  (I am assuming it didnt rain much during that time as heavy rain can wipe out a batch of cuttings.)  I'd start taking cuttings now and do it again every 2 weeks till you see you have success.  We'll be happy to take any  surplus off your hands, as it sounds like a good one.  It's a pity I didn't know mulberries were easy to root when I found a lovely lavendar one down in Athens GA, pretty and good to eat both.  Good luck!   Donna