nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Leaves curling and folding

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Leaves curling and folding
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:02:13 -0400

curling terminal growth this time of year often indicate leaf hopper
activity - first/second instar infestations are discrete and they move
rather fast, vacating teminals as you grasp them - approach the plant
quietly and try to observe the underside of the newest growth for small,
light green nymphs scooting around - as they age and grow they become more
obvious, it's at that time that they pierce the terminal and feed, causing
the cessesion of growth and shriveling of the newest leaves -

pyrethroids or neo-nicitanoids are possible chems to use - they are harder
to kill as they get bigger and will often do their damage before the
controls take effect -

BTW, we are just entering 'mite season' - hot summer weather favors mites -
quick generations and very fast build up -