nafex - [NAFEX] Sudden death of Persian Walnut?

  • From: "Joshua Van Camp" <jvancamp@tc3net.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sudden death of Persian Walnut?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:36:16 -0400 (EDT)

I have a 4 year old grafted Persian Walnut tree that up until last week was
doing
great with no signs of problems. We had a rough spring with several late
freezes
back in late April/ early May, but since then the tree leafed out and seemed
to be
doing fine. The weather has been warmer in the last week, but not super hot.
It
has been relatively dry for the last two weeks. The only thing I have done
differently this year was I did mulch all of my trees with grass clippings
about 3
weeks ago. All of a sudden the middle of last week, it looked like the tree
was
wilting from top to bottom. It progressed now to the point where all of the
leaves
on the tree are brown and dead, but the new spring growth branches are still
green
and otherwise mostly upright. All of my other grafted Persian Walnuts, black
walnuts, butternuts, and hickories near by seem to be doing fine. Just this
one
tree. Any ideas/suggestions??

jvancamp@tc3net.com

  • [NAFEX] Sudden death of Persian Walnut?, Joshua Van Camp, 06/19/2006