nafex - [NAFEX] New apple variety released by U of MN in 2006: Snowsweet

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New apple variety released by U of MN in 2006: Snowsweet
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:58:49 -0500

Title: Message
Here is what Univ. of Minnesota scientist Prof. Jim Luby has to say about the propagation and marketing of 'Snowsweet' and another new selection, MN1914. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

Sam

SnowSweet apple is being introduced this year through several nurseries licensed by the University of Minnesota.  These are listed at www.apples.umn.edu.  Perhaps Jim in Menominee meant there were no retail nurseries listed (not orchards).  There were very few trees available this year but should be next year and some retail nurseries in the Twin Cities  [Minneapolis-St. Paul -- Sam]  area will probably carry it then.  I would guess that orchards, both retail and wholesale, will start to have some fruit available in 4 or 5 years.

Jim in Menominee may have been referring to MN 1914 which will be introduced as a managed variety.  Pepin Heights of Lake City, MN has been licensed by the University of Minnesota to manage the variety in North America including distribution of trees and marketing of fruit. The University will receive a royalty based on fruit sold.

Jim L