nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Too late to start spraying apples?

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Too late to start spraying apples?
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:40:16 -0500

At 05:14 AM 5/26/2006, you wrote:

I didn't spray my apples this year. Yesterday I'm checking the tiny apples and I noticed holes in the tiny fruits. Not all apples are affected yet... Is it too late to control it? What spray should I use? Would Bonide fruit spray work? it contains captan, and malathion. Thanks

Of course, spraying won't do anything for the holes already in your fruit. Plum Curculio can do a lot of damage early in the season, but they are probably about done in your area.

Other insects are still around and will continue to damage your fruit, but you still have to ask yourself if enough damage has already been done so that spraying now wouldn't be worthwhile. You really have to assess how much damage has been done and how much good fruit you still have.

I wouldn't spray a fungicide (captan) at this point. If you were going to have much of a fungus problem, it's probably too late to do anything about it.

If it were me, I'd probably throw in the towel for this year and try to stay on top of things next time around. A simple rule of thumb might be: spray fungicide from bud break through petal fall. Spray insecticide from petal fall until bug pressure subsides. Organic alternatives are available, but tend to be somewhat less effective. Get a spray guide from your state extension agency for more details.

Cheers,

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu