nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Disaster in Minnesota

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Disaster in Minnesota
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:13:47 -0400

This past winter seems to have been rough on bees here in PA. It seems like the virus vectored by varroa mites was more virulent than usual, but who knows for sure. I lost one of two hives to varroa and associated disease (virus). I lost (killed) my second hive during the wet/cold/windy/changeable period we had here in mid Feb - bees got wet and cold during spring build-up due to a leaky feeder.

My mason bees emerged early this year, again due to the warm winter. They were around for the ribes and apple blooms, but were nearly gone for strawberry and caught only the early blooming brambles.

My solitary bees are mostly japanese hornfaced, and were acquired at the yearly BYFG grafting workshop in March 2 or 3 years ago - others who keep them bring in extra filled tubes for sale at that meeting. If you don't see native bees using your tubes, I suggest you "stock" them. So long as I provide enough empty tubes, mine nearly triple in number (filled tubes) each year.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B